Monday, May 22, 2006

First official day in Bristol....

I was probably asleep around 9:30pm and I slept until 11:00am this morning. I had a lot of catching up to do. Today we were dropped off at the Bristol museum for the walking tour with Dr. Hunter at 2:00pm. This was really the first time we were all meeting up since our meeting in prep for coming over here. I dont really count the zombie like state we were in yesterday as us getting together. People who have gone that long without sleep have no business communicating with anyone (or maybe thats just me) lol. Anyways, you can see a pic of most of the group to the left as we deal with the fickle rainy England weather and comence our tour.  We saw the 1st Methodist Chapel in the world (1739). It was called the John Wesley’s Chapel. Then we went to the Motte and Blaise Castle in Bristol and it was built in 1088. Then we saw the acorn with a water thingy around it which, despite my description was quite cool looking. I even thought it was worth a photo opt. (see dashing photo to the right) lol. Then we saw a church that was bombed by the Nazis. It had a memorial plaque by it. We continued our walk and saw the Llandoger Trow which was a bar that Black Beard had a pint in. Then we went to the Queen’s square. It had a statue of the King in the middle (See photo bellow) which I didn’t really understand…lol. I mean it's the Queen's square so why does that dude get a statue?? oh well I wont get into to a political debate over it hahaha.

After that we went to an area with a river (lots of boats) and saw the bar we are going to tonight (Lloyds). We also passed a place called the Chicago Café. We all thought that that was funny. Then we got lunch (I didn’t eat) at a pub along the way. It was on Park St. across from the museum where we started our tour. They had a deal on burger and beer for £2.99. I was getting a headache from caffeine withdrawal so I had to get a drink but I wish I would have gotten a burger as well. After that the group split off and we walked home. We are meeting up at 8 to head back to the bar (Lloyds) so bye for now.

Cue elevator music as I dance the night away in transition to the remainder of this entry!

I am back now and it is 2 in the morning. We met up with Matt, Mike, Katie, Shannon, Teresa, Jenny, Beth, Javier (Spain), Marlena (Italy), and Dan and caught the bus on Cheltenham Rd. to the city centre. We waited about 20 min (until 9:00pm) under the white umbrella thing by the fountain for the rest of the group. We then headed to Lloyds. We stayed there until about 11:30 then went to the Sports Café. While at Lloyds I had two pitchers of Lust (Smirnoff vodka, Anchor, & O.J.) which was so good. I also had a Geck and Lemonade which is suppose to be like Midori. The pitchers were £5.95 a piece and my drink was £2.99. It was a cool bar. The restrooms were on the third floor which was kind of a pain. At the Sports Café I had a shot and a long island for £5. It is so expensive here. The exchange rate is like $1.92 to one pound so I think I spent like $40 tonight…ouch.

Amy met up with some Irish rugby players who had just won a tournament. They were so funny especially Moses. You can see Amy, Ashley, Teresa, and I with some of the players in the picture to the left. Almost everyone played pool at the Sports Café. Those who didn’t sang and took crazy pictures all night. Shannon and Katie were really drunk and met up with some guys. We (Shannon, Katie, and the two guys) snuck into the VIP section. We were almost kicked out by Shannon worked her magic so we were able to stay.

We (Ashley, Amy, and I) left the bar with Matt S., Teresa and Mike E to catch a cab back to Zetland Rd. at around 1:30am. Bars closed at 2 so we decided to beat the rush. I really hope that Matt and Mike got home okay. They were both a little confused as to where we were when we got out of the cab. It was raining when we left the bar and it is still raining now. The weather here is really weird. It can be sunny then raining and then back to sunny in like 20 minutes time and this is everyday. Well me and Amy are sitting in our beds and I am tired now so goodbye for another day. Bus tour at 10:00am tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment