Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Campus Tour and my first international movie experience...

Today we had our campus tour. The campus doesn’t seem to big but it was a little confusing to get around after we were turned loose for lunch. Katie, Teresa, and I had lunch at a little café on campus. The fries (called chips in Europe) are not salted over here. I am going to loose my mind. Also, there is a pub on campus. So you can have a beer in between classes. Crazy huh?! The gift shop was not quite what I expected. It was small and there was a shortage of UWE merchandise. I guess it is not like ISU were everyone must own at least 4 University hoodies… Today after lunch we had a lecture on culture and acceptance. Some of the exercises were cool. We were given characteristics of other cultures and then asked to interact with each other. It was kind of hard not to laugh during the exercise. Another exercise involved us grouping off and deciphering Arabic Math problems. This was harder than I thought but once you caught on, it got easier. The most difficult part was seeing a number that we use in English like 0 and having it mean a different number to them and ∙ being zero.

I went home after school. A lot of people went shopping but I needed to get ready for the movie (DaVinci Code) and have dinner. Oh and we had cheesecake at dinner it was so good. It was quite expensive £5.50 for one ticket and £2.60 for a coke (no ice). They don’t really use ice over here either. The previews were really long (25 minutes) and then unlike in the U.S. after the previews they closed the curtains and turned the lights back on so that people could go buy concessions. So even though the movie was suppose to start at 8:45pm it started closer to 9:20pm. I don’t get it??? The movie was really good. Afterward Amber, Caitlin, Dan, Kevin and I walked home. The theatre was close to the centre so we decided we would walk home and it was kind of a long walk. I would never do it again either because we walked through the ghetto of Bristol. It was a little scary. I was very glad that Kevin and Dan were there because it really wasn’t a comfortable situation.

We were on our way to meet the group at Hobgoblin but when we got there it was closed so we all decided to just head home. Then by sheer coincidence we ran into the group at another pub on the way. I was glad because that meant I had someone to walk home with. Amy, Ashley, and I went home shortly after I got to the pub. It was a little after midnight. Even tough we had an early class me and Amy stayed up an talked until 2am. Needles to say I will be tired tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment